Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Is it a sin?? No! No it isn't!!

Who doesn't love a good, simple, gooey cinnamon roll? 

I don't know about your school growing up, but at my school the best thing in the cafeteria were their cinnamon rolls.  They always made them on chili and beef stew days.  Much bargaining went on for exchanges with the few strange kids that didn't like those rolls.  They were so fun to eat, unrolling them, one long curled sweet roll.  And oh, that very center piece, THE BEST!  Happy memories for me for sure.

When I was engaged to be married some, uh hmm, years ago, my sister gave me several handwritten recipe cards of some of her favorite dishes.  One of those cards was for "School Cinnamon Rolls".  It took years of cooking before I ever attempted a recipe calling for yeast.  Can't really recall that first batch, but they must have been OK as I have made them many times since.  Fortunately the instructions were pretty easy for me to understand.

I know some folks like their dough rolled more thick, but I like mine rolled thin, the better to get more soft sweet bites.  The rolls at school had only sugar and cinnamon, never any nuts or, gag, raisins.  Some people like them loaded, but not me, I am a "School Cinnamon Roll" purist.  That yeasty dough needs nothing else to muddy the sensational mouth feel.  So my rolls are filled only with butter, sugar and cinnamon.

My Cinnamon Rolls come with a simple vanilla glaze, drizzled over when they first come out of the oven.  The smell is really divine.  I have made many dozens of these rolls recently and the smell still gets me.  

These rolls are heavenly, not at all a sin!  

Views expressed are solely my own, not from above!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment